The Hazara University established the Directorate of Quality Enhancement (DQE) on July 8, 2009, initially it was named as Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) but later on in 2016 the syndicate changed the name as Directorate of Quality Enhancement (DQE). The work plan was scheduled by the appointments of the new Director and Assistant Director in this cell from May 14, 2010.
The DQE is to introduce and implement the systematic standards and procedures for improving high quality education that positively impacts the students. To achieve this goal Higher Education Commission (HEC) has developed methods for assessing the quality of Academic Programs. It is also to monitor and evaluate the various aspects of project, service, or facility, and also to ensure that standards of quality are being met.
The quality is the mean through which an institution can guarantee with confidence and certainly that the standards of its educational provisions are being maintained and enhanced. The Academic Quality Assurance concepts and practices are being developed and adopted in several education systems across the world. The HEC Pakistan has introduced the clear guidelines on a Self Assessment Process to be followed by the institutions as an initial step for the improvement of existing educational system.
The Self Assessment is an important tool for academic quality assurance and provides feedback for faculty and administration to initiate action plans for improvement. The process culminates when assessment results are used to improve student learning. A successful assessment program includes the following:
- Purpose identification
- Outcomes identification
- Measurements and evaluation design
- Data collection
- Analysis and evaluation
- Decision-making regarding actions to be taken.
As part of the HEC plan for capacity building in quality assurance and enhancement in higher education Hazara University established an independent Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC), and Prof. Dr. IKRAMULLAH was appointed as the first Director, Mr. Rana Bilal Iqbal as Assistant Director of DQE on 14th May 2010.
To aim for the standard quality education and research at all levels.
The Directorate of Quality Enhancement (DQE) is committed to promote and enhance quality of various programs to the highest standards through strategic planning, assessment and continuous monitoring.
DQE right from its beginning has devoted to exercise quality control in all areas of academic programs. Various measures are already in place right from the time of admission to ensure academic excellence.
Within the context of Mission Statement, the following are the objectives:
- To extend and update Quality Assurance Process and evaluation methodology to promote Research Culture.
- To classify clear and unambiguous standards as points of reference for the reviews to be carried out.
- To assess quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject.
- To analyze academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of efficient management of standard and quality of programs.
- To produce manpower this could serve the society in honest way.
- To congregate the challenges of global compatibility in higher education.
Responsibilities of DQE by the Guideline of HEC are as follows:DQE will be responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
- DQE will be responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching, learning in each subject area.
- DQE will be responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
- DQE will be responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
- DQE is responsible to develop qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Bachelors, Bachelor with Honors, Master's, M. Phil., Doctoral.
- DQE will be responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
- DQE is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
- DQE is responsible to ensure that the university's quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
- DQE will be responsible to develop procedures for the following:
- Approval of new program.
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty monitoring, and student perceptions.
- Departmental review o Student feedback o Employer feedback.
- Quality assurance of Master's, M. Phil. and Ph.D. degree programs.
- Subject review o Institutional assessment o Program specifications.
- Qualification framework.
Current Status of Exercise
As per requirement of HEC and to fulfill the responsibilities the DQE took following steps:
- Data gathering from all the departments comprising the No. of faculty members, their Resume (as per HEC Format) and enrolled students semester wise for 2016-17.
- Summarized the data as per Quality standards for Garden Campus.
- Compilation of Self Assessment Reports of all Programs offered by the University.
- Checking of M.Phil/MS & Ph.D theses for issuance of Anti Plagiarism Certificates through Turnitin Software.
- Managing the HEC E-Portal for Degree Programs Detail, HEC Approved Supervisors and Research Grants announced by HEC.
- Preparation of University Ranking data for onward submission to HEC.
- Monitoring of University Website as per the International Standards and requirements of HEC.
- Maintain and update the Pakistan Qualification Register to add all degree Programs offered by the University and affiliated colleges and Private as well.
Future Plan of Directorate of Quality Enhancement
The future plan of DQE is as follows:
- To make the University website as model website.
- Conduct a series of workshop on Quality Standards and Self Assessment for faculty in Hazara University.
- To speed up the Accreditation of all Programs from concerned Accreditation Councils.
- Collection of Data for University Ranking 2017 and submit a report to HEC.
- To train the faculty members for maintaining the Course File.
- Gathering of Requirements for Research Facilities as per the requirements of HEC for boost up the University.
- Start the Self Assessment Exercise in all departments.
- Formation of Program Teams (PTs).
- Dissemination of assessment proformas.
- Compilation of PT report.
- Formation of Assessment Teams (ATs).
- Compilation of Assessment Team Reports.
- Finalized the Self Assessment Repots (SARs) for further submission to QAA/HEC.